Tour B: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park 4 Days Tour
Safari – Day 1
Upington – Kgalagadi -Twee Rivieren – Kielie Krankie (300 km)
We leave Upington at 8H30 from your guesthouse to drive to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. Stop en route at the Norokei Salt Pans (natural salt mine) and the Khomani San Bushmen to view their art. Arrival at Twee Rivieren (12H30) We depart on a game drive in this 38 000 square km park Approximate predator numbers: Lions – 450, Leopards – 150, Cheetah – 200, Spotted hyenas – 370. Bird species are 264, of which 20 raptor species are present. Antelope such as Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Springbok and Wildebeest are well represented. A 30km drive through the red dunes will take us to our destination for tonight.
Overnight: Kielie Krankie Wilderness chalet/lodge (ceiling fan)
Meals: L + D
The camp are not fenced, allowing you to feel at one with the Kalahari and it’s wildlife. Be prepared to experience the wide variety of wild life that the Park has to offer, like the “King of the Kalahari”- the Gemsbok – silhouetted against a backdrop of red dunes or maybe the Kalahari Lion searching with its pale, yellow eyes…
Other animals found in the Kalahari are the cheetah, leopard, spotted – and elusive brown hyena, aardwolf, and the beloved “Little People” of the Bushmen, the Meerkats…
The park boasts with 264 bird species, including the world’s heaviest flying bird, the Kori Bustard. Also present is the Martial Eagle, the largest eagle in Africa. We will also study the fascinating “sociable weaver” birds, with their huge nests balanced precariously from a branch of the Camel thorn tree.
You have a magnificent view of a waterhole, and after dark we have a strong spotlight to investigate the secret sounds of the night…
If we are very lucky, we will be serenaded by the haunting cries of the black-backed jackal.
Overnight: Kielie Krankie
Meals: L + D
Kalahari Tented Camp
Safari – Day 2
Kielie Krankie – Kalahari Camp (100km)
Wake up one hour before gates open. Breakfast, then pack for Game drive in the dry Aoub river bed. We do stalk driving (direction North-West) for 5 – 6 hours. This is the day we try to learn more of the Kalahari and it’s secrets. Afternoon arrival. Check into lodge and short rest. Depart on a game drive until gates close.
Overnight: Kalahari Wilderness chalets/lodges (ceiling fan and swimming pool)
Meals: B + L + D
Safari – Day 3
Kalahari Camp (2 days)
Wake up an hour before gates open. Game drive South. Today we search for the famous Kalahari Lion, as well as the smaller inhabitants of the desert, like the Meerkat. We return for lunch and rest. You can sit in your lodge and watch the wild life coming to drink. Afternoon game drive until sunset. (2-3 hours)
Overnight: Kalahari Camp chalets/lodges (ceiling fan and pool)
Meals: B + L + D
Safari – Day 4
Kalahari Camp – Twee Rivieren – Upington (405km)
Wake up one hour before gates open, pack up and depart direction South. Game/stalk driving (40km/h) using the Auob riverbed. After 4 – 5 hours of stalk driving we reach Twee Rivieren (12h00) Depart for Upington. Late afternoon arrival at your guesthouse. Tour ends.
Meals: B + L
- Air conditioned transport and THETA accredited driver / guide (Northern Cape Province and Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park)
- Accommodation in chalets/lodges
- Maximum game drives everyday
- Private facilities including bathroom & bedroom
- 1 x small water per person per day
- Meals as per itinerary:
B = Breakfast – cereals, coffee and tea,
L = Light Lunch
D = Dinner – cooked dinner.
- Conservation fees of R180 per person per night payable at Kgalagadi cash or credit card
- Binoculars, sun block, hat,closed shoes for the evenings, insect repellent, torch and toiletries.
- IMPORTANT: Animals are active early morning and late afternoon when temperatures are lower.
- Please keep luggage to a minimum (towels, linen and cutlery are supplied)
- january 0600-1930 july 0730-1800
- february 0600-1930 august 0700-1830
- march 0630-1900 september 0630-1830
- april 0700-1830 october 0600-1900
- may 0700-1800 november 0530-1930
- june 0730-1800 december 0530-1930
WE NEED TO KNOW:
- 1. Your dietary requirements
- 2. Where to pick you up on day of departure at 08:30
- 3. Any special interest we should know about?
ALTERATIONS TOURS: Accommodation may vary due to weather conditions and availability.