Tour 2: Augrabies Falls National Park 2 Days Tour
Upington – Keimoes – Kakamas – Augrabies Falls (130km)
We depart at 08h30 from your guesthouse to drive to Augrabies Falls National Park (6 th highest in the world). see picture below.
At Keimoes we take a drive up the “Tierberg Mountain”, for a panoramic view of the lush Orange River Valley. We also stop at a dried fruit farm stall, to sample the local products.
On arrival at Augrabies Falls, we go for a walk to see the Orange River (7 th longest in Africa) plunging 70 meters into a ravine 17 kilometres long. The “Place of the big noise” took 500 – 600 million years to reach the stage where it is today. For the next two days we spend enjoying this fascinating place.
After this we go for a series of game drives, to try and spot the desert animals found here, especially the Klipspringer, Giraffe, Gemsbok, Springbok, and the smaller animals like the Dassie, Chacma Baboon and Vervet monkey.
The Augrabies is a bird lover’s paradise, with 264 species represented in the Kalahari region.
The main attractions are the viewpoints; called Ararat, Echo corner and the Moonrock. We’ll get out of the vehicle and take a walk to the side of the ravine, where you’ll have ample opportunities for photography.
Your guide will explain to you the special adaptations of the plants and animals that preside in this harsh and extreme environment.
There’s also a chance for you to do the scenic “Dassie Nature Trail”, 5km through the incredible sandstone formations and water streams.
On the first evening you can join the night drive, to view the nocturnal animals, as well as the infinite canopy of stars that’s close enough to touch…
- Gariep 3-in-1 (bicycling, hiking, canoeing- half day)
- Night game drive in Parks Board Vehicle
- River Rafting (half day)
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- THETA accredited driver / guide
- Air-conditioned transport and fuel
- Maximum game drives everyday
- Private facilities including bathroom & bedroom
B = Breakfast – cereals, coffee and tea, fruit juice, eggs, rusks and fruit(apples, oranges, bananas and pears)
L = Light Lunch
D = Dinner – Braai broodjies(sandwich on fire with cheese, tomato and onions) salad, corn, rice, potatoes, vegetables, chicken, sausage and other meats are available
- Bottled water / soft – and alcoholic drinks / snaks in between meals (shops available at every camp)
- Optional activities like night game drives,
- Gariep 3-in-1 and river rafting.
- Conservation fee of R300 per person per day payable Kgalagadi cash or credit card
- Binoculars, sun block, hat,closed shoes for the evenings, insect repellent, torch and toiletries.
- IMPORTANT: Animals are active early morning and late afternoon when temperatures are lower.
- Please keep luggage to a minimum (towels, linen and cutlery are supplied)
WE NEED TO KNOW:
- 1. Your dietary requirements
- 2. Where to pick you up on day of departure at 08:30
- 3. Any special interest we should know about?
ALTERATIONS TOURS: Accommodation may vary due to weather conditions and availability.