Tour 1: Augrabies Falls National Park 1 Day Tour
Upington – Keimoes – Kakamas – Augrabies Falls (130 km ) and back to Upington (130km)
We depart at 08h30 from your guesthouse to drive to Augrabies Falls National Park ( 6th highest in the world )
At Keimoes we take a drive up the “Tierberg Mountain”, for a panoramic view of the lush Orange River Valley. We also stop at a dried fruit farm stall, to sample the local products.
On arrival at Augrabies Falls, we go for a walk to see the Orange River (7th longest in Africa) plunging 70 meters into a ravine 17 kilometers long. The “Place of the big noise” took 500-600 million years to reach the stage where it is today.
After this we go for a series of game drives, to try and spot the desert animals found here, especially the Klipspringer, Giraffe, Gemsbok, Springbok, and the smaller animals like the Dassie, Chacma Baboon and Vervet monkey.
The Augrabies is a bird lovers paradise, with 264 species represented in the Kalahari region.
The main attractions are the viewpoints, called Ararat, Echo corner and the Moonrock. We’ll get out of the vehicle and take a walk to the side of the ravine, where you’ll have ample opportunities for photography.
Your guide will explain to you the special adaptations of the plants and animals that presides in this harsh and extreme environment.
There’s also a chance for you to do the scenic “Dassie Nature Trail”, 5km through the incredible sandstone formations and water streams.
Tour ends late afternoon in Upington.
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Lunch at Augrabies Restaurant
- THETA accredited driver / guide
- air-conditioned transport and fuel
- Maximum game drives everyday
- 1 x small water per person per day
- soft and alcoholic drinks.
- Conservation fees of R120 per person per night payable at Augrabies
- Binoculars, sun block, hat,closed shoes for the evenings, insect repellent, torch and toiletries.
- IMPORTANT: Animals are active early morning and late afternoon when temperatures are lower.
- Please keep luggage to a minimum
WE NEED TO KNOW:
- 1. Your dietary requirements
- 2. Where to pick you up on day of departure at 08:30
- 3. Any special interest we should know about?
ALTERATIONS TOURS: Accommodation may vary due to weather conditions and availability.